Kristen L. Carroll, MD
Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Kristen Carroll is a Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Chief of staff Shriners Hospital. She specializes in the areas of pediatric hip and foot abnormalities, both congenital and neuromuscular in origin. Her research interests include neuromuscular and complex hip disorders, skeletal dysplasias and complex foot and ankle deformities. Dr. Carroll practices at Shriners Hospitals for Children-Salt Lake City Utah. Dr. Carroll graduated with a medical degree from Albany Medical School in New York, and completed her Orthopaedic residency and pediatric fellowship at the University of Utah.
Board Certification and Academic Information
Academic Departments Orthopaedics - Professor (Clinical)
Board Certification American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship University of Utah School of Medicine
Residency University of Utah School of Medicine
Orthopedic Surgery Resident
Internship University of Utah School of Medicine
Professional Medical Albany Medical College
Undergraduate Brown University
Selected Publications - Journal Articles
- Carroll KL, Stotts AK, Baird GO, Thorman AL, Talmage M, Moss WD, McMulkin ML, MacWilliams BA (2021). Factors Influencing Outcomes of the Dysplastic Hip in Nonambulatory Children With Cerebral Palsy. J Pediatr Orthop, 41(4), 221-226.
- Sinha S, Mundy C, Bechtold T, Sgariglia F, Ibrahim MM, Billings PC, Carroll K, Koyama E, Jones KB, Pacifici M (2017). Unsuspected osteochondroma-like outgrowths in the cranial base of Hereditary Multiple Exostoses patients and modeling and treatment with a BMP antagonist in mice. PLoS Genet, 13(4), e1006742.
- MacWilliams BA, Stotts AK, Carroll KL, DAstous JL (2016). Utilization and efficacy of computational gait analysis for hamstring lengthening surgery. Gait Posture, 49, 394-397.
- Carroll KL, Schiffern AN, Murray KA, Stevenson DA, Viskochil DH, Toydemir R, MacWilliams BA, Roach JW (2016). The Occurrence of Occult Acetabular Dysplasia in Relatives of Individuals With Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. J Pediatr Orthop, 36(1), 96-100.
- Woiczik MR, Carroll KL, Pizzutillo P, Gross R (10/01/2012). Musculoskeletal Effects of Down Syndrome. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online.
- Schiffern AN, Stevenson DA, Carroll KL, Pimentel R, Mineau G, Viskochil DH, Roach JW (2012). Total hip arthroplasty, hip osteoarthritis, total knee arthroplasty, and knee osteoarthritis in patients with developmental dysplasia of the hip and their family members: a kinship analysis report. J Pediatr Orthop, 32(6), 609-12.
- Holman J, Carroll KL, Murray KA, Macleod LM, Roach JW (2012). Long-term follow-up of open reduction surgery for developmental dislocation of the hip. J Pediatr Orthop, 32(2), 121-4.
- Stotts AK, Carroll KL, Nance E, MacWilliams BA (). Outcome of Gastrocnemius Soleus Facial Lengthening in Ambulatory Patients with Cerebral Palsy. J Pediatr Orthop.
- MacWilliams BA, McMulkin ML, Duffy EA, Munger ME, Chen B P-J, Navacheck TF, Carroll KL, Stotts AK, Carter LH, Mader SL, Hayes B, Baird GO, Schwartz MH (). Long-term effects of spasticity reducing treatment, including selective dorsal rhizotomy, on outcomes of individuals with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol.
Women in Orthopaedics
Why do women become orthopaedic surgeons? University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedics helps us know why.
Fairfax Road & Virginia
Salt Lake City, UT 84103